Commercial Carpeting – Keep It Clean
You’ve probably never given much thought to the carpeting in commercial establishments like public buildings, hotels, restaurants, schools, hospitals, nursing homes, etc. Not surprising, until that is YOU have to make the decisions about purchasing or maintaining that carpet.
The installation of hospitality carpet is a considerable investment, both in terms of cost and the image you are trying to convey to your customers. An effective maintenance programme will keep the image of your facility where you want it to be as well as extend the life of your monetary investment.
Considerable care needs to be taken when choosing the carpet initially, since you will have to deal with how it ages over the years and with how much maintenance it will need. Some of the factors requiring your attention include density, fibre, colour, pattern and texture. And, after you’ve chosen the carpet, establishing a regular maintenance schedule by a well-established and competent cleaning service is paramount.
How Well Will the Carpet Perform?
Questions to cover before installation should include:
• Is this the right carpet for the location, end-use and traffic patterns?
• Will the colour chosen live up to the light levels in the building and the traffic it will get?
• Will the carpet be put in place by competent commercial carpet installers?
• Is there a plan in place for maintaining the carpet for both regular daily cleaning and heavy soil removal when necessary?
While most commercial carpeting will perform reasonably well, the life and look of a well-chosen carpet will be enhanced considerably by the recognition that carpet maintenance should include:
• the activity levels that the carpet will get and reducing to some extent the deposit of soil with good ventilation,
• managing as much incoming soiling as possible by putting in place some means of catching heavy soil before it is tracked in,
• having some means of locating, identifying and removing spots, stains and heavy soiling,
• having in place a programme of deep cleaning and restoration through the effective and minimal use of vacuum cleaners, chemicals, carpet shampooers and water extraction machinery, and perhaps, carpet drying machinery as well.
Regular and competent cleaning is crucial. Infrequent or random attempts at cleaning and impromptu responses to emergencies by untrained personnel are not the optimum for extending the life of your investment.
Employ a professional, trained, competent carpet cleaning service whose staff know how to deal with high traffic or heavy use areas, spots, stains and other difficult soiling, plus maintaining colours and pile density.
They will also be able to advise you about walk-off mats at the entrances to your building or facility. Walk-off mats will greatly reduce the amount of soil and moisture that enters your facility, but they must be of the right sort, located properly and cleaned frequently, otherwise they are likely to become overloaded and ineffective.
Choose the right carpet for the right job and location, establish an effective maintenance programme conducted by an efficient cleaning service and your commercial carpet will continue to look good for years to come.